Saturday, December 28, 2013

In the Dark of the Year


In reviewing my stats over the last several years I now see a cyclical pattern in my health and fitness efforts. I have my greatest success and progress during May through August, but then back slide terribly from about October through March. In perfect sync with my school schedule.

I am a stress eater... and my body retains fat as a protective measure during times of stress (a double wammy). Add that during the school semester my eating schedule is inconsistent and I have little to no regular exercise, plus the holidays, and I generally find myself heavier and weaker as the year cycle turns over. Bad state of affairs all about.

So, what to do?

I know what to do, I've known for nearly 20 years what to do and for about 10 of those 20 I actually used that knowledge and did what I needed to stay healthy and fit. The last 10 years have not been so successful... with age adding to the challenges faced when striving to maintain a healthy body weight and muscle mass... and now I'm one of those guys who is all "used to be" and no longer "is" an impressively healthy man who is acknowledged as such (especially by himself).

Oh, the solution is quite simple. Just DO IT... very Nike of me, no? However, the "doing" of it, consistently, even when life is chaotic, work demands are outrageous, and social life is the pits, can be very difficult to manage. Now, my mother would say "all you need to do is decide to do it, and do it." Of course, even with all her incredible determination and will power, she has not manage to maintain the physical size/shape/fitness she desires. Oh, it can be done, but it means not "dieting" or "exercising" but actually "living" the healthy life style... that means putting one's health before other things like "the job" or "the family" or such... not that one neglects those things, but that you can't allow them to be obstacles to living a healthy life.

So the real question is... am I willing to "live the healthy life".

The answer to that is a bit more complex... as it requires facing inner demons and unloading a lot of emotional baggage... we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment