Friday, January 29, 2016

One Month Down, 7 to go!


This week was the reverse of last week, I lost weight but my waist and body fat measurements remained constant. I find that they seem to take turns. My January fitness goals were to lose 10 lbs, 2" off waist, and 4% body fat. Didn't quite achieve that... I lost 9 lbs, shaved 1.5" off waist, and reduced 3% body fat.


My inner critic is trying to flog me about the inability to achieve such basic goals... I'd eaten more than I should, snacked too late on occasion, didn't exercise as intensely as I could have, blah blah yack!


However, my better self, the one that acknowledges my flaws but looks at them as opportunities, not failings, is deflecting most of my inner critic's bile. Because, lets face it, it isn't like I'm going to drop 70 lbs of fat, and 14" off my waist in a MONTH... I'm not going to go from chunk to hunk overnight. I'm not going to go from a puffer to a casual runner in a week. What is important is that I've been trying, and that my efforts have been consistent and rational. I haven't starved myself in response to a bad snacking choice, I haven't blown out my knees or back trying to "work off" my indiscretions, and I have been increasing duration and intensity of my workouts as I feel capable.


It wasn't a single bad decision which took me fro, a fit 190lb, 14% body fat 39 year old man to a 260lb, 43% body fat 47 year old man. It took 8 years of consistent, moderately poor choices (and some uncontrollable outside influences) which took me to this state of being. I could have change my course at any time, been more conscious, been more diligent. And dwelling upon "woulda-shoulda-coulda" will only distract from what I should-can-will do now. See the lessons, release the regrets... I already have the weight (baggage) of my physical results, no need to add on emotional and spiritual ones as well.


So, with all that in mind, assuming I can maintain my slow lifestyle changes to a healthier self, I should achieve my overt physical goals of 190lbs body weight at 14% body fat with a 35" waist line by the end of August. A great birthday present for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment